Monday, March 11, 2013

Hot

I interrupt the regularly scheduled recount of our road trip to have a mini-whinge about the weather.  On one hand, I'm not really complaining because I don't mind the heat, and I love the eternal sunshine.  On the other hand, I need a break from it.  Today and tomorrow's high temps: 97F.  But the problem is that the low temps are 72F.  And we have no air conditioning.  So on our day off today, we've been sitting in a dark apartment [all the blinds are drawn], with the fans on, still sweating whilst sitting down.  I've been tempted multiple times to just give into the heat, and open all the blinds back in to get rid of the gloomy blinds ... but it's still only 85F inside while it's 97F outside ...

The other issue is that it's now technically autumn - and it feels like it's been a steadier heat now that the summer's over than was experienced in the heart of summer.  Perhaps that's just a perception, but in order to help me visualise it, I went all nerdy and made some charts.



Source for both data sets: http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/observations/melbourne.shtml

Basically since the 4th, the temperature hasn't dropped below 60F, and over the past couple days it's barely made it down to 70F. 

At the end of the day, I'm not really complaining about the sunshine and the heat - those are totally tolerable.  It's the lack of respite, especially at night.  If Ruthie and I had been smart, we would've gone somewhere with A/C today [movies, etc] ... but we stayed home in an attempt to not be busy today [a rarity of late]. 

Anyways, back to the road trip.

-EP

No comments:

Post a Comment